Mickey Mouse Shaped Food
Hey friends! Today I’ve been trying to beat the Disney Blues by making some little Mickey Mouse Strawberry Hand Pies. They’re called hand pies because they’re small enough to fit in your hand, they’re not shaped like his hand – although I could try them next! Mickey Mouse shaped food looks better, tastes better…and my children are far more likely to try something that looks like a novelty than something normal! They’re quick and easy to make, and perfect for sitting in the garden with for a quick munch.
How to Make Mickey Mouse Shaped Pies
I have probably 14 different Mickey Mouse cutters that I’ve picked up from various places – his head, his hands and his shoes, Mickey as a Gingerbread man, and a big M too. They come in handy for all kinds of fun lunches and snacks and have been worth the investment. If you’re thinking of buying one, make sure you get a metal one. They cut better and I prefer them.
More Disney Inspired Food
Having lots of Mickey Mouse cutters means I can cut pretty much any food into his shape and it instantly becomes cuter and therefore more edible. haha. If you like Mickey shaped movie nights or are celebrating Cinco de Mayo, you can check out our Mickey Mouse Chips ‘n’ Dip here, or if you’re after something sweet, I have the *easiest* five minute Mickey treat – Mickey Mouse Summer Rice Krispie Treats. If you’re reading this and it’s Hallowe’en, I love to make Mini Mickey Mouse Mummy Pizzas!
Ingredients for Mickey Mouse Strawberry Pies
These pies are so easy – all you need is a packet or roll of shortcrust pastry [or you can make your own, of course] and the jam or pie filling of your choice. We used strawberry jam for these ones.
- An Egg [beat this for sealing the pies]
- Milk [for brushing the tops of the pies]
- Shortcrust Pastry
- Jam or pie filling
How to Make Easy Disney Mickey Mouse Shaped Hand Pies
The great news is that these hand pies are ready for the oven in just a few minutes.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your kitchen work surface
- Roll out the pastry – make sure it’s quite thin, about 2 or 3mm or you’ll have really chunky pies!
- Cut your Mickey Shapes out
- Spread the jam or pie filing over the half of the Mickey Mouse heads. Be careful not to put on too much that will ooze out and leave a little edge clear around them too.
- Pop the other half of the Mickey Pastry shapes on top as lids
- Brush Eggwash around the edges
- Crimp around the edges to seal the pies shut. Use a fork.
- Pop onto baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Brush with milk
- Cook at Gas Mark 6 for around 15 minutes, keeping an eye on them. Our oven likes to go from raw to cremated in no time at all.
Enjoy your pies!